I have to start this post by telling you the story of "the lady in Hobby Lobby" so that is what we will call it....The Lady in Hobby Lobby! After an exhausting search for plaster of Paris through every single aisle and back again...I finally asked a sales associate for assistance. Needless to say, I suppose my age really showed when I asked for this product. She gave a half-hearted look through a few aisles and said..."guess we don't have that!" Back to looking again..I was finding this plaster of Paris!!!! The lady in hobby lobby that was in the same aisle when I asked the sales associated for assistance finally broke down and asked me..."so what are you going to do with this plaster?" Politely, I replied...."making chalk for my son's Valentine's bags at school." and to this she replied, "wow, you must have A LOT of time on your hands!" and then proceeded to insist that I could go buy a big bag of chalk for ninety-nine cents on the next aisle over! If you know me...you realize this did not go over well with me:)......then I found out she was making candles, she then asked for my assistance in picking out the supplies. How could I be upset with a fellow crafter....I guess:) This was over a week ago and I am still mentioning it to my husband everyday, this story really doesnt have a point except to tell you that instead of chalk, Andy and I made large heart crayons for his classmates....too much time on my hands, whatever!
This project turned out to be a cheaper solution and was way less painful than looking for plaster of Paris:) Andy and I took out all of his old crayons, unwrapped them and broke them into pieces. You would not think this would be lots of work for an eight year old since they are pros at breaking things...but after about six crayons, he was tuckered out and needed to watch t.v. and lay on the couch! I already had this silicone mold from last year, the hearts are large....but they do sell smaller ones that would work great as well.
I suggest filling each to the top, it does take quite a few crayons for this project. I had a helper...if it were only me making the crayons...I would have stuck with one color and added in one contrasting color. We put the silicone mold on a cookie sheet before placing in a 200 degree oven for about fifteen minutes.
When taking these out of the oven....please be extremely careful, they will be in liquid form and VERY hot! It will take several hours for them to return to solid form....pop them out and you are done. Super easy project.......once I get the entire goody bag together I will be posting more pics....
Thanks for stopping by:)
The 18 Month Mark
13 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment